The Cake Part – Yummy Cake Recipes Are A Must!
What are yummy cake recipes? These are recipes that work well for you and that produce the yummy factor!
There is seriously no point in decorating a beautiful cake, when the cake itself is awful, dry or just okay…
Something that will help you settle on a recipe that you will use is to actually think about what you expect a cake to be like. What kind of cake do you love?
This is my take on cake…
- it must have chocolate in it somewhere!
- the cake crumb must be soft and moist
- the icing must be a nice balance of sweetness compared to the cake
- the yummy factor must be there! You just want more!
- I like to eat cake that is room temperature
- layers are essential – three at the very least
- I am not fond of bits in my cake – perhaps with the exception of chocolate chips or grated almonds
- fillings like chocolate mousse or ganache are my favourite
- the overall feel when biting into the cake, should be a light, creamy, chocolaty, squishy and be a melt in your mouth experience!
Your turn… write down what you think is the best kind of cake you would like to eat.
Now we just need to find that recipe…
Where can you find recipes that will work for you? Often we get recipes from friends or family, they make a delicious cake and we ask for the recipe. But, in my experience, they don’t always work.
So Here Is What You Need To Know About Cake Recipes
- They don’t always work for you
- If this stage is too overwhelming, skip it – buy a boxed cake that is guaranteed to work and just add an exta egg yolk.
- For scratch cake recipes – use the correct ingredients and measurements given for making your cake recipe
- Follow the recipe method exactly
- A recipe needs to be tried at least three times to make it your go-to-recipe
- Only tweak on the second or third time (why fix something, that you don’t yet know is broken… I know it’s tempting to add, substitute and fiddle with the quantities – don’t)
- When changes are made to the recipe – note it down accurately (no vague – add more, put in extra liquid, or give an extra shake or half a handful of – when you come back to it, this is not going to be helpful. Be specific – add half a teaspoon more baking powder. etc.
- If you have a recipe that is working for you – but it’s not wow – tweak it (try adding an extra egg yolk, a tablespoon more sugar, more flavouring etc.)
- What I did was looked for recipes from professional cake decorators. They have made a stack of cake and they know what works well…
- The following recipes are paid products, but they support them and you would be able to ask them any questions related to the recipes or the results.
What Makes Scratch Cake Recipes Different?
It's usually the method used for putting the ingredients together or the actual mixing of the cake.
Some start with creaming the butter and sugar together, then the eggs get mixed in and then the dry ingredients.
Others start with the dry ingredients - you add the butter and mix it to a crumb mixture - and then the liquids are added.
Sometimes you have to melt the butter, beat the egg whites, or mix over a double boiler - there are so many ways to mix cake.
As you try new recipes, you will start preferring a certain method.
Tweaking Scratch Cake Recipes
I have a hot water and oil sponge recipe for my chocolate cakes - It was a recipe that I was given when I was young. Over the years it's not changed too much. I experimented using different fats - margarine, butter, oil and coconut oil.
The cake itself always worked and I actually found that there was little difference to them taste-wise, but the oil seemed to make it lighter and it has a softer crumb. I am usually a butter girl! But for this recipe - I use oil.
So, you get what I saying here. You need to take that working recipe and explore within it.
How Can You Experiment Without It Costing An Arm And A Leg?
- When you get orders, make the small changes
- You know the cake recipe works - you just want to make it WOW!
- Make sure you make a cupcake that you can ice and sample when it's cool.
- Don't be tempted to eat it hot. All hot cakes are yummy!
- Then take meaningful notes about the changes you made.
- Another option is to freeze the cupcake with a label - made with an extra egg yolk - in a bit you will have a number of tweaked samples. Defrost, ice and get help sampling them for the best.
Once you are over the cake part and well along with your cake decorating. Come back to this first stage and re look at whether you are happy with your recipe still.
Or maybe it's time to look for a new flavour to add to your go-to-recipes.
By the way, this process is what you should do with your icings and filling recipes too!
Infact, when you stop looking - you will know that you are happy with your scratch cake recipe. When you get to that point, please share it with me. I love trying new recipes!
Knowing how to make cakes from scratch that work for you and that you can make you own - will set you apart from the other cake decorators in town.
So, be sure to get the whole recipe thing sorted. Know what cake you are trying to recreate. Yummy cake recipes that work well for you and have the yummy factor will become your most sort after cake! And if you start getting serious about cake, you will be glad you took the time to find out what cake you actually like making.
If you would like to get more suggestions on getting into cake decorating, be sure to read my guide here.