Search Flights to Other Airports
Airfares… That’s always the big factor – the make or break decision on any travel destination. I’m sure cheap online airline tickets sound appealing! After all, the air flight makes up a large percentage of one’s travel costs.
Thank goodness for Search Flight Engines, that make our work much easier!!! Travel agency offices are not sort after so much these days. Instead of them phoning around and getting the best deals, you and I spend hours on the internet searching frantically for a great flight deal or bargain package.
If you have been wondering how to get to Victoria Falls then this is the best place to find out.
Ideally, landing in Vic Falls makes more sense (the airport is 21 km from the town and transfers can be arranged or taxis are always on site.) Note: These cost between $15-$30.
Searching for flights from surrounding airports opens up new holiday possibilities...Click To Tweet
You may be surprised at what you find.
The map below will bring up other options that could be just the perfect plane ticket you need!
Plan your trip from that point, down to Victoria Falls.
Tips to help you search for the cheapest airplane tickets
Useful things to consider.
- Will you be visiting both sides of the Victoira Falls/Mosi-Oa-Tunya? This means you will be entering both countries, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
- Visas to and fro are a biggy, find out what category you fall into and know the cost of entering “the other side” 🙂
- It might be cheaper to land in Zambia Livingstone (which it often is) but if your preferred activities are on the Victoria Falls side, your savings could be in vain as boarder visas make daily crossings expensive. Plan on crossing over at least once to see the complete waterfall – you won’t regret it (which will mean you will need a double entry visa).
Understand the logic behind price increases.
- Reasons for a price hike…
- School Holidays
- Yearly Holidays
- Weekends – everyone wants to get to their destination for the weekend and back on Monday for work. This could make travel on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays higher.
- Special Events – The Victoria Falls Marathon and the Vic Falls Yearly Carnival. These events are getting bigger as each year passes.
- The Seasons – travel to Victoria Falls is popular between May through August. Everyone is aiming for this “Goldilocks” time period – Just Right! So, it follows that this is going to be the most expensive time to travel. Know what you are coming for, a few days or weeks earlier or later, could save you a bundle…
- The Time of Day that you fly: will dramatically affect the price you pay for an air ticket. Early Morning/Late Evening. The more inconvenient, the cheaper it should be. Weigh this against other factors such as: Will you be able to arrange a lift to the airport for one in the morning? What is the cost? Is the cheaper flight worth the other added inconveniences? (Dragging your friends or family out of bed… Lol!)
What to take away?
- Travel when it is least popular, less Convenient and know why you are visiting Victoria Falls so you can choose the best time for you!
- Booking in advance is savvy, late last minute tickets are stressful or can be ridiculously expensive and disappointing when you don’t get that “last minute special deal” that you were banking on…
- Search for flights to surrounding airports (ensure your transport costs to that airport don’t out-way this option or the convenience of a closer one). If you are a bit adventurous and like to wing it a bit, this option could start you out on an amazing journey! Let’s say it is cheaper to land in Botswana. There are amazing opportunities to explore that end of the world, it’s not so far from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe (an easy drive – there are daily transfers from Chobe) and you could end your trip by flying out from the Victoria Falls Airport – after spending a few days in Vic Falls. It’s all about possibilities…
- How much effort are you willing to put into looking for a ticket? Direct flights are known to be more expensive – it’s what you are paying for the one-stop hassle free travel. Try searching one way tickets there and back (even different routes), then compare those two tickets to a round trip ticket. When booking for a number of people at a time, search and pay for the tickets individually and then choose seating afterwards that are next to each other.
- On budget travel, booking for a family or a group? Avoid direct flights. Connecting stop-overs while longer and tiring, could save you money that can then be used on accommodation or entertainment. We have done this on our return journey to Zimbabwe from England. We went from London to Amsterdam to Johannesburg to Harare (we lived there at that stage).
- Steps to take…
- Find out the price of a direct flight to your destination (or there abouts). Then try searching different routes and compare the price difference.
- Major connecting Hubs to get to Victoria Falls, are landing in…
- Johannesburg/Capetown (South Africa)
- Livingstone/Lusaka (Zambia)
- Botswana/Gaborone (Botswana)
- Addis Ababa
- Harare or Bulawayo (Zimbabwe)
- Knowing this, go to Google Flights and do another search. Note, the cheapest deals are not always found here, it’s more to get an overall feel.
- From the above mentioned Airport Hubs, search to get to Victoria Falls.
- Capetown to: Zimbabwe – Victoria Falls/Harare/Bulawayo, Zambia – Lusaka/Livingstone
- Johannesburg to: Zimbabwe – Victoria Falls/Harare/Bulawayo, Zambia – Lusaka/Livingstone
- Harare to Victoria Falls
- Lusaka to Victoria Falls
- Land in Livingstone Zambia, you can take a taxi to Victoria Falls Town for under $10 (or stay in Livingston Town.
- Ensure your layover has at least a 4 hour stop over. If your plane is delayed you won’t be fiddling with re-booking flights etc.
- Compare prices from more than one search engine (two are on this page). There is no perfect searcher, but they are getting better everyday!
- Search in a different currency if your currency is stronger than the place you are visiting. (Just watch for the surcharges)
- Search here if you are traveling from England, Spain or Ireland. It’s a better Engine search for you.
- Become your own Affiliate. This is only worth the trouble if you have PayPal, travel a lot or are booking for a group. By becoming an affiliate, you get the commission on your own ticket! Cool right? Just create a user account, get the link, put it into your browser and then book your ticket. Things to note. A $50 threshold has to be reached and payment is only received after the event.
- Enable flight alerts if they are available on the search engine you use. This will save you checking all the time.
- Get organised – book tickets early. Tickets are usually released eleven months in advance – start checking weekly to get a feel for the price range. Three months in advance seems to be the most advised time to purchase a ticket. If you are happy with the price at this point, get it! You already know what the general price range is, so when it drops – don’t miss it, hoping it will go lower.
- Once you have purchased a ticket – stop looking around! It’s done and you are going on holiday!!! Yay!
May - August is the 'Goldilocks' time to visit Victoria Falls Zimbabwe!Click To Tweet
The map makes searching other airports so much easier – try it you will see what I mean. If you prefer searching a widget see the bottom of the page. All the best!
Search for flights to Vic Falls – bookings are not made on this website and affiliate links are directed straight to the merchant that has scoured hundreds of websites so you don’t have to.
The most common way to get to Victoria Falls is through flights from Johannesburg or Capetown.
- Fastjet recently reintroduced its Johannesburg route – Victoria Falls route and flies on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays from Johannesburg. Fastjet also has a flight from Harare to Victoria Falls and Harare to Johannesburg.
- South African Airways (SAA) also has flights between Johannesburg, Harare and Victoria Falls
- Airlink a South African airline has a route from Cape Town to Victoria Falls
- Ethiopian Airlines has a flight to Victoria Falls via Gaborone, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays (they have future plans to make daily flights to Victoria Falls) and Addis Ababa to Victoria Falls.
- Kenya Airways
- British Airways
- Air Zimbabwe
- Air Namibia
- Air France
- Egypt Air
- Etihad Airways
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- Qatar Airlines
- Fly Africa Zimbabwe
This is the most crucial part of your journey, but, once you past this point, it’s easier to figure out the rest. Nothing will get planned unless this first step is done: getting your plane tickets. I wish you all the best! When you past this point go check out the Accommodation! 🙂
Have questions you don’t have answers to. Note them in the comments below. All the best searching for your perfect airfare!!!